Thursday, May 7, 2009

Old Friends

I am taking a class this quarter called "Massive Change." After a whirlwind tour of the past 5,000 years of economic history (provided by the professor), we have recently been treated to student presentations on topics. Last night, one of my colleagues presented on the aging world population. It was one of the most disturbing presentations I have seen.

Alan asked a number of hard questions on the nature of society's responsibility for its aging. The sheer numbers will overwhelm existing social service providers in the coming years. The financial aspects are daunting, as current social benefit programs cannot afford to support the coming waves of elders. The fastest growing demographic in the United States are people aged 85 and above. Many of these people are simply unable to care for themselves, and some of the oldest have children who are too old to care for them as well. He discussed the possible outcomes of increased support for euthanasia or ritual suicide. Most disturbing, the professor weighed in with the observation that there are no mechanisms to ensure that those without the ability to fight back or complain (e.g., the old and infirm) are not treated with cruelty by nursing home providers.

Alan offered no easy solutions. Beginning the dialogue is an important step, however, and I appreciated his taking this topic on. I had not thought about many of the issues he raised. Now that I am thinking about them, I am a little frightened and saddened. But wiser for knowing. I hope that with knowledge will come wisdom. Until, that is, I am too old to do anything about it.

No comments: